Before exploring your story, here’s a bit of mine.
Psychological Background & Training
My name is DeeDe: Mom of three, Mimi to four, wife, and friend. I have been in this work for over fifteen years. My experience includes individual sessions, couples’ counseling, small group care, post-abortive care, trauma recovery care, sexual trauma, and Bible studies.
I am a certified biblical counselor, a trauma-trained certified somatic practitioner, and a certified transforming touch practitioner. My approach to counseling is informed by an emphasis in the somatic approach and overall wellness. I understand the key roles that physiology and faith both play in our stories of healing and renewal.
While biblical counseling is a fairly well-understood approach, somatic therapy may be new to you. In essence, it is a body-based understanding of trauma coming from 30 years of experience and research. The somatic approach to therapy involves gentle and compassionate story engagement and seeks to connect the body, mind, and soul.
Practically, a somatic approach can take a variety of forms during our sessions including movement, drawing, and diagramming stories as well as intentional touch therapy and touch therapy. reStory Counseling employs this method of care as a way to empower the body to naturally process stress patterns, trauma, and negative experiences, influencing a client’s daily thoughts and emotions.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Texas A&M University; B.S. in Agriculture
Light University; M.S. in Biblical Counseling with Marriage and Family
- American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC) – Member since 2015
- If Not for Grace Ministries – Partner since 2013
- Living Foundations Ministry – Affiliated since 2016
- Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute – Member and SEP since 2017
- Board of Christian Professional and Pastoral Counselors- Board Certified Biblical Counselor since 2017
- Transforming the Experienced-based Brain – Transforming Touch Practitioner since 2020